Thursday, March 19, 2020

Day 4: March 16th, 2020

The Decemberists


Today started off fairly normal. I did chores and took care of my elderly cat by which I mean I cleaned her bed by hand because that is how being a cat nurse goes. I decided it was time to take the recycling out to the big blue bin and took the trash out too. Then I walked around the parking lot at my complex. There were many cars parked. By the time I walked a forth loop I noticed no cars or people interrupted me. This was a good sign, but it still seemed eerie.

My boyfriend went to work today but said he would likely work from home from here on out. It is nice that he has that ability. We can do our part by staying home and away from others as much as possible.

I started to see the positive effects of the COVID-19 pandemic today. There is something in humans that makes us fear radical change and so we tend to bind together in times of hardship. Humanity is often at its greatest when the situation is at its worst.

The musicians and other creative artists began to entertain over the internet. They are lifting spirits and, hopefully, keeping their careers afloat. I watched a concert the Colin Meloy from the Decemberists streamed from his home in Portland on Instagram.

I watched the "Decemberists" concert from my couch while sipping a beer and vegetarian curry. Colin Meloy said it is their 20th anniversary. He played ten songs, the first if which were Make You Better, Raincoat Song, On The Bus Mall, and Your Red Right Ankle. The comment section was filled with happy and heart filled emojis, people yelling lyrics, thank yous, and song requests. His kid brought a chicken in near the end and the bird photo-bombed the last song. It was a nice concert and retreat from the madness.

Retailers are closing up or going on a restricted schedule. Some restaurants are switching to carryout only. Wallstreet, the courts, and the private sector are struggling to adapt to the pandemic's needs and constraints.