Wednesday, September 2, 2020

P o e t r y

~1~
Come Out And Play


When will the sun come out and play
The sun has hidden beneath a shroud
Heat radiates from behind a cloud
It suffocates an open wound

Why won't the sun come out and play
Like it did the day before
The light casts a sickly hue
Not dusk or dawn, but muted grey

I asked the sun, "Please, come out and play"
"No," came the distant reply
Echoing like thunder in the cloudy sky
Boom, flash, away birds fly

Light came trickling softly, slowly
I did not say a word
The sound of wetness undeterred
Just rain drops, drip, drop


~2~
Conversation


Let us walk and
I will talk with you.
How I should move my mouth?
I can't recall.
Nervous, heart pounding
Drowning out your voice.
I forgot the words
To my favorite song.
I hear a sound;
Shouts and screams in shrill nuance.
Silence is preferred.
I can't remember how to speak,
I forgot the words.


~3~
5 Haiku For Modern Times


A Summery haze
Blankets the perfect valley
Forests are burning

Gentle breezes drift
Fall fragrance filling the air
Masks cover noses 

The Winter Finch perched
Softly chirping a sweet song
Far away from home

A bountiful spring
flows freely from the mountain
And is bottled fresh

A beautiful mess
Healthy fungus breaks down wood
Natural decay


-2020, L.A. Miller